Join our staff – we’re looking for a Controller to join our Finance, Investment & Operations team!
The Community Foundation of Louisville is looking for a talented individual to serve on our Finance, Investment & Operations team as a Controller.
If you or someone you know might be interested, please review the position description below. Applicants should submit their cover letter and resume to Kitty Gruber at [email protected] by April 17.
Job Title: Controller
Reports To: Vice President/CFO
Department: Finance, Investment & Operations
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Nature of Work
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO), the Controller will be responsible for oversight of all accounting and reporting activities to include the production of periodic financial reports, maintenance of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of internal controls designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the company’s reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles. The Controller will be involved in supporting presentations to the Finance & Audit Committee and will work closely with the leadership team.
Essential Job Duties
- Clearly communicate monthly financial statements; monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership abreast of financial status.
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of gifts, grants, and program expenses.
- Consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner.
- Manage organizational cash flow by working in partnership with the CFO, Investment Committee and Investment Consultant.
- Support the CFO in preparing and presenting financial results to the Committee.
- Coordinate annual financial statement audit.
- Other assignments and special projects as assigned by the Vice President/CFO.
Knowledge, Skills and Talent
- Effective oral and written communication skills to interact with a broad spectrum of constituencies, including donors, community leaders, nonprofit representatives, Foundation board members and staff members.
- Proficient computer skills, particularly Microsoft Excel, Word, and financial database management required. Stellar Technologies iPhi experience is a plus.
- Commitment to quality work, continuous improvement and accountability.
- Ability to follow tasks through to completion with minimal supervision and within the timelines set for each project/task required.
- Strong analytic, problem-solving and strategic thinking skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail and accuracy required.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting with 5+ years of accounting and financial experience preferred.
- CPA preferred.
- Experience in accounting and audit and experience gathering, evaluating, presenting and reporting financial information to executive teams desired.
- Experience in a nonprofit that has multiple program areas a plus.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and ethical conduct.
- Professional in manner and appearance.
- A commitment to the mission, vision and values of the Foundation.
- Welcomes organizational growth and change.
Leverage strengths of the current finance team members; help to clarify roles and responsibilities and develop and implement training programs in order to maximize and reach optimal individual and organizational goals. Provide leadership in strengthening internal communications with staff at all levels throughout the organization; create and promote a positive and supportive work environment.
This position operates in a clerical office setting and routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines. This position may require the ability to lift objects of at least 20 pounds in weight. Job duties require approximately 75% sitting/typing and 25% standing/walking. Physical requirements will vary depending upon the specific duties to be accomplished. In addition, it is a requirement of this position that the successful candidate be able to maintain a physical presence in the Louisville headquarters offices regularly and consistently and for the full regular work week. Attendance may be required at special events during normal working hours or outside the normal work week.
The position is a professional, full-time, exempt staff assignment and will be eligible to participate in the Foundation’s Employee Health and Benefits Plan as set forth in the Foundation’s personnel policies.
The Community Foundation of Louisville is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a culture that promotes diversity, equity and inclusion. There is no discrimination with regard to hiring, assignment, promotion, or other conditions of staff employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, political affiliation, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or any other legally protected classification.