Steps to Give
Getting started at Community Foundation is a simple process—whether you want to start your giving today or structure your legacy for the future. We're here to help you achieve your charitable giving goals and can offer you guidance and expert resources.
Follow these steps to give:
- Create a personal charitable fund by making an irrevocable gift to the Foundation. You can start a Charitable Checking Fund with a gift of any amount, or create a permanent endowment with a gift of $5,000 or more. We offer a variety of endowment funds that range from the flexible Donor Advised Fund to the Fund for Louisville to address the greatest needs in our community's future.
- Make a charitable donation to create your fund. We accept many types of assets including cash, appreciated securities, life insurance, real estate, and IRA assets. You'll also benefit from CFL's expertise in handling special assets, such as closely held stock.
- Recommend how your gift is invested by choosing from four investment pools, or recommend another investment advisor (for a gift of $2 million or more). Your gift will grow tax-free.
- Make grants to support your favorite nonprofit organizations and causes. We can research nonprofits in the community on your behalf, and you can access your giving history and request grant distributions through our online portal, My Fund.
- Benefit from favorable tax treatment. Because CFL is a public charity, donors are typically eligible to take an immediate tax deduction for each contribution.
Talk to a member of our Gift Planning Staff to discuss starting your own Community Foundation fund.